10 January 2011

My thoughts on Butter and Olive Oil

Olive Oil.

"But it's a good fat"...I love that...I say that...it's still fat...and lots of calories...so don't use as much. I LOVE to use olive oil...love it. When I pour it in my pan, I almost feel like a real chef (silly, I know), but I do. A LOT of recipes call for 2-3 T of olive oil just to saute vegetables or to brown meat....and that....is WAY too much olive oil. 1 T olive oil: 120 calories...many recipes say they serve 4...divide 240-360 by 4 and you have a lot of calories in something you can't even taste. So start much smaller. I like to start with 2 teaspoons of olive oil (1 tsp = 40 calories)and I typically don't have to add any more then that. It is plenty to make my veggies soft and yummy and my meats browned and delicious. Now, if I am going to just pan cook chicken, I don't even use olive oil...I just spray my pan so they don't stick and then I am not adding any additional calories. And it works just fine...so try both and see what works for you.

Butter.

Other recipes call for butter instead of olive oil. Don't we all love the smell of butter and vegetables cooking all together in a pan?.....mmmmm. BUT....1 T Butter: 110 calories (11g of fat)...so, I only use butter when I bake (cause sweets I just don't mess with:) Instead, why don't you try....Brummel and Brown Yogurt Butter. 1 T : 45 calories (5g of fat). And to be honest, I like the taste better. If you haven't used it...give it a try. It comes in a tub and is like any other butter/margarine spread.

No comments: