10 January 2011

My thoughts on cheese.

Cheese.

I refuse to use low fat/no fat/reduced fat/weight watchers cheeses. I just can't do it. They don't taste the same to me...and they DO NOT melt like cheese should. SO...I've learned a few tricks.

I use laughing cow cheese whenever I can. I LOVE this stuff. It comes in a variety of flavors and is good on just about anything. 1 wedge is only 35 calories. I put it on my bagel breakfast sandwiches, in my omelets, on crackers and pretzels and on toast. If you love cream cheese, you will love this.

Of course, there are tons of recipes calling for cheese that my laughing cow won't work in, so pick your cheeses wisely. We always figure that 1 slice of cheese (about 1 oz) is somewhere around 100 calories...but it isn't quite that simple.

(these calorie amounts are from recipes.sparkpeople.com)

1 oz parmesan cheese, grated: 129 calories (I use around 2 T...1 T is only 22 calories)
1 oz cheddar cheese: 114 calories
1 oz colby cheese: 111 calories
1 oz swiss cheese: 106 calories
1 oz monterey jack: 105 calories
1 oz american cheese: 104 calories
1 oz blue cheese: 100 calories
1 oz provolone cheese: 99 calories
1 oz feta cheese: 75 calories
1 oz mozzarella cheese (part skim): 72 calories

So what does that mean, cause really, they are all close right? Sort of. Grating a tablespoon or 2 of parm cheese on your pasta doesn't add many calories, if you really need it. If you HAVE to have cheese on a sandwich, go with provolone. If you are making enchiladas or pizza or anything you want a good melty cheese on...pick mozzarella (part skim). And if you are making a salad (either green or pasta)...pick feta instead of blue cheese. I know it seems silly and maybe a bit anal...but knocking off 10-20 calories with every meal makes a HUGE difference.

What it all comes down to is picking and choosing when I really want to add those additional calories. I have found that I don't need a slice of cheese on my turkey sandwich...but then again, I do love some cheese on my homemade pizza and enchiladas...so it's a little give and take:)

3 comments:

Marissa said...

very cool new blog of yours :) Congrats on the weight loss. My husband has lost 95lbs from FINALLY eating the foods that I cook and watching portions and I've got a healthy living blog too...check it out if you get a chance, http://www.letsmoveitmommas.blogspot.com
Maybe you can do a guest post for me with one of your great, low cal recipes??! I'd love it and I'm sure my readers would too :)

Sarah Humble said...

I LOVE ALL Cheese!! I think given the opportunity I would eat a block of the stuff, any kind, in one sitting. This really puts things in perspective... Great blog. I'm loving it!

Christi said...

Great post Teri. I also love cheese. Something that I tried is taking string cheese (a lower fat one) and cutting that up on a salad. It's pretty good for those who may need cheese on their salad and it's not too many calories.